Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Everyday Things

Sometimes it's difficult to write a blog, because you're sitting there thinking, what happened today? And then you remember, well, it was a day pretty much like any other....

Jack spent 10 minutes on the kitchen floor this morning lifting Coca-Cola cans out of the 12-pack box, one-by-one. And then putting them back in, one-by-one. And then getting frustrated when he sort of got his arm stuck in the box. Saw me watching him, gave me a big smiles. Went back to taking the cans out again.

We threw the tennis ball in the backyard with Charlie. Typically this involves me throwing the ball, Charlie bounding after it, and Jack shrieking with laughter. Occasionally I put Jack down, and he'd crawl over to a ball, or one of Charlie's bones, and hold it up to me. I'd take it from him, and throw it out to be fetched just as Charlie was bringing back another one. This could have continued indefinitely, had I not wanted to bring Jack in considering it was about 50 degrees outside.

Jack crawled out of his room holding up the heavy "Goodnight Moon" lap edition, which is about half as big as Jack is. Holding it up took some effort, while crawling on his knees, but he managed it. We probably got through 3-4 pages before he'd crawled off looking for another book.

He woke up from his nap and I went into the dark room to get him, followed by Charlie. Charlie stuck his nose through the crib bars to lick his hand, while Jack grinned sleepily. I lifted him out of the crib and he hugged me.

We gave him leftover pasta for lunch. He'd grab huge fistfuls and jam them into his mouth, some of which actually made it in.

He climbed into his "hungry hippo" and I pushed him around the room. Big smiles.

He walked, bow-legged and careful, clutching his Mom's finger in one tiny fist, from one end of the house to the other.

He climbed down the back steps, and up the back steps, and down again. And again. He really likes going up and down the steps.

I told him to go get me his sneakers out of the closet. He crawled over to the closet, opened the door, got his sneakers, crawled back with them.

He combed his Mommy's hair with his little plastic ducky comb. He combed what's left of his Daddy's hair with the same comb a little while later.

He used Charlie's back to stand up, then stood on his own for a few seconds. Before dropping to his knees.

He pointed at something - yogurt, applesauce, his pacifier, his sneakers - and shouted Cah! Cah! When we gave it to him, he smiled happily and enjoyed it.

He said "Hi" to me this morning. It was sort of a cry: "HIIiiiiiy!" But I think he said Hi.

When I went to get the newspaper, he crawled to the front door and stood up against the glass to see out. When he saw I was coming back, he gave me a huge, laughing smile and patted the glass with his hands.

He got fussy at dinner - he'd been up for a while, having napped early - rallied to have fun in his bath, then was relatively low-key - half asleep? - during storytime. I finished the evening, as I often do, by reciting "10 Little Ladybugs" - since I know the book by heart, I can usually finish the words with the light turned out, and his head lolling on my shoulder, and then I put him down, pulled the door most of the way closed, and snuck out.

Later, I snuck back, and could hear his soft, rhythmic little breathing.

So yeah, just one of those days where very little happened. Almost nothing at all.

1 comment:

robinrmcardle@gmail.com said...

I love this column . . . very sweet (as is Jack).