Thursday, November 08, 2007

Nighttime Visits

Jack's been waking up during the nights, or early in the morning. There are various factors. It's gotten cold, and he tends to kick his blanket off, so he wakes up cold sometimes. Kate might wake him up on occasion with her crying. Daylight savings. Whatever.

Anyway, he's been waking up. Here are some of the stories.

- Heard Jack wailing. Walked into his room. He was standing next to his bed, his stuffed puppy locked in his elbow, head back, wailing. "Jack!" I said. "What's wrong?" "WANT MY LITTLE TEDDY BEAR!!!!!" He has these two little bears they gave him at the hospital when he had surgery. They tend to get lost in the blankets. I found the missing one and gave it to Jack. He immediately stopped crying, flopped on the bed, and fell asleep.

- Jack was at the side of the bed, holding his step stool for the bathroom sink. I groggily awoke, it was almost time to get up. "Jack...whu...?" I mumbled. "Want to get into bed with you and Mommy." Now, we're not opposed to this, except for the fact that 1) he doesn't sleep, 2) he chatters away and we don't sleep, and 3) he'd wake up Kate, who's about 4 feet away in her crib. I walked Jack back to his room.

- Jack was at the door. I got up, walked him back to his room. It was around 1 a.m. He sat down glumly on the side of the bed. "Jack, what's wrong?" I asked. "I don't want to be all ALONE in here....." he said pitiably. I really didn't know what to say there.

- I went to bed at 11. Slept. At 11:30, I woke up to see Jack there. "I'm coldy, Daddy. I'm coldy." I put the blanket on him and went back to bed. 11:45, he's back. "Don't want the blanket on." "OK, Jack, well, you can just kick it off, but I think you'll be warmer with it," I said. 12:15. Jack again. "Daddy, will you put the blanket on me."

- 5:30. Jack at the bedside. "Is it morning time?" No, Jack, it's the middle of the night. I bring him back to his bed.

- 5:45. Jack again. "NOW is it morning time?"

No comments: