Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Reading

I read to Jack's class today. One of the Moms organizes it and I've gone a couple of times since April. Basically she gets a book for the class (usually something touching and inspirational) and puts it in Jack's cube for me, and I bring in a couple of additional books (usually something about pirate dinosaurs or cows that can type) to read.

I walked into the class and they were all gathered on the rug around Miss Gabriella, one of their teachers. I don't know if she preps the room by giving them warm milk or something, but they all seemed peaceful enough. Jack raised his arms up happily when he saw me, which is nice.

The teacher introduced me and I walked over to the upside down milk crate and sat down -- I felt like a stand-up comic saying Hi Hello there, like I should make a joke or something. But instead, I just said, Howdy, I've got some great books here: "Room on the Broom," "Click Clack Moo," and "Happy Birthday, Moon." Which one do you want to hear first? "Room on the Broom" got the most yells, so we were off.

I quickly realized I was going to have to read each page upside down. I tried reading a page and then showing the picture, but as soon as I turned the book away somebody complained that they couldn't see. This went on for a few pages until I just held the book so that they could see the pages and I was reading upside down. Might be why I have a headache now. Anyway.

Everyone oohed and aahed and laughed at all the right places. They also laughed at the punchline in Click Clack Moo -- "the ducks want a diving board! HAAAAAA!!!!!" -- it was pretty cute. And I even enjoyed the touching story about a little bear giving a gift to the moon; I feel like I'd read it before at some point, though I'm not sure when.

Jack pretty much stood at my elbow during all three stories. For some pictures, kids got up to see them from up close (like for example the witch's new broom at the end, with a little shower for the frog. Everyone wanted to see the shower for the frog). And at the very end, when Mr. Brendan told everyone to say thank you, a few got up to hug me. And then the rest did. And then I was crushed by about 15 kids, who thought it was pretty funny. "You're welcome "gah" cough akkk."

And then I waved goodbye and left, missing them all already.

No comments: