Saturday, May 15, 2010

Saturday

We all slept terribly last night. Kate's been waking up and getting out of bed too early, waking up Jack, we've been working a lot and going to bed too late, it's too hot, it's too cold, it's too noisy, whatever.

Got up today and the kids had Fruit Loops. Only on weekends. They love Fruit Loops.

Jack had soccer. He had fun running around with his friend Teddy. Only mildly interested, I'd say, in soccer itself. But his team won, that was nice. Jack took a hard elbow at one point and went down. He cried. It's a fine line between trying to soothe him and trying to get him to shake it off. It went OK, though.

As we were getting into the car afterward, one of Jack's teammates yelled out the back window of his car, "Bye, Coach!"

Kate ran around a lot, also at one point asking me during the game when I was near the sidelines, "Please can I have Dora bites?" (The snack we brought for them for afterward, they're like little fruit bites shaped like Dora the Explorer...yeah, I don't know how that's really possible either.) Kate, I'm kind of in the middle of something here.

Kate napped, during which I sat with Jack for a while reading him "Highlights" and "High Five" magazine. He enjoys both of them particularly the puzzles and stories. Yesterday we made Finger Puppets from them. We always do the games where you have to find little things, shapes of common objects and stuff, in pictures of a beach scene or whatever. He also likes to do mazes. I used to love to do mazes.

After Kate's nap, we went and rode their bikes in the office park. I guess when we move we won't go to the office park anymore, because we'll be near a big actual park. But no ducks! Well, we'll see. We fed the ducks. There were two groups of ducklings with their moms (or Dads, far be it from me to make assumptions about familial roles in waterfowl). We threw bread until we were out, than rode our bikes home. Kate likes to sit on the bike and move along with her feet on the ground. Jack actually pedals and stuff; at some point we'll need to take off the training wheels. I don't know when that is.

Kate put on her own pajamas. She beamed proudly about it. Jack sang in the bathtub, I don't remember what about. Grandma put him to bed and cracked him up repeatedly. His laugh is awesome.

No comments: