Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Swimming, Level 3

Jack's swimming class started today - Level 3! A step up from his previous class, and we weren't 100 percent sure he was ready; the instructor seemed uncertain herself at the conclusion of that session, questioning his "swimming stamina." But we figured, well, better to be pushed than do the same class again. Right? But, I was still nervous.

I brought him over to the instructor, and he sat down on the edge of the pool. The other 5 kids also came over and got in the water. I started to wonder if Jack wouldn't get in, but he did. In the car on the way there he said, "I hope some of the other kids in my class moved up with me." So he was a little unsure about everything.

I watched each kid take their turn kicking their way out to the instructor. Jack was a little wild, but did OK. The instructor caught him, turned him around, and started him off back. Jack floated on his back, and his front, and clung to the edge some. Seemed a little nervous, I thought. Or maybe it was just me.

Using kickboards, they kicked to the other end of the pool. Clambered out, and jumped in one by one. Jack did one of his better jumps (Later he said, "I did the highest jump!"), went under, bobbed back up.

They swam back to the other side of the pool. He lost his kickboard for a moment; I sprang up, ready to kick my shoes off and dive in fully clothed. But the instructor was right there and retrieved it. Whew.

Afterward, he got out, shivering. I wrapped him in a towel and said to the instructor, Was he OK? He looked nervous at times, we weren't sure if he should move up from Level 2 or not...

Instructor said, Jack did fine. There was some hesitation at first, but he did everything...He's definitely in the right class.

Which was all I needed to hear.

In the locker room afterward, Jack shivered and I helped him get dressed. As usual, he expressed fascination with the combination locks on every locker. "This one is like ours! This one is blue! This one...!"

Heading home, Jack said, "None of the kids from my other class were in this one, but I made a new friend." Later, he said, "We learned 'Chicken, Airplane, Soldier.'" He then demonstrated: they're three different swimming poses. He lifted his knee up for chicken, stuck his arms out for airplane, put his arms at his sides for soldier. And smiled.

No comments: