Thursday, March 29, 2012

Homework

Jack does some reading with the 2nd graders, Mrs. Bernstein's class. He's a good reader. Yesterday he brought home a book and did his homework, which was to draw a picture of something from nature both from far away and from up close. He drew a leaf up close, and then a broad view of a similar leaf on a tree in our backyard.

As I was putting him to bed tonight, leaving his room, he suddenly remembered, "Oh! I forgot to do my homework for Mrs. Bernstein! I was supposed to write down three thoughts about an animal (and something else, I can't remember)." I said, well, don't worry, you can do it the morning. He seemed to accept that and I went downstairs.

Five minutes later he came down. "Mrs. Bernstein had said I was the best student, but then today I forgot to bring in my homework assignment from yesterday, and I had to share a book with someone else. And I couldn't really see it because it was at a round table." He was a little upset. And I said, Jack, it's OK, don't worry, we'll do it in the morning. See, I've written a note to remind you in the morning, and I put your homework book right by your backpack so we won't forget it. He said OK and went back upstairs.

Five minutes later he came down again. Emily was at a school board meeting, and he said to me, "Daddy, can you call Mommy so she can go to my classroom and get my composition book out of my desk? Because I need to write my homework assignment in that." I said, Jack, first of all, Mommy is at the middle school, so she couldn't get into your school or your classroom. And second, it's OK. We'll do it on a piece of paper and you can copy it into your composition book when you get into school. We'll have Mommy bring you in a little early. He nodded and I gave him a hug and sent him back to bed.

He didn't come down, but I'm going to go check and make sure he's sleeping anyway.

No comments: