Monday, August 05, 2013

Wait 'til next year

Baseball season came to an end today. A hard-fought 3-2 playoff defeat. Jack led off the last inning with a thrilling, hard-hit single up the middle. A great birthday present! And then was slow leaving first on a ball the catcher batted around, and got thrown out on the basepaths. Left the field in tears, I had to talk him off the ledge. Other team scored to win it in the bottom of the inning.

It's funny. Emotional high and low in the space of 2 minutes. That's baseball. I love this game.

Afterward, Jack was down for a bit. Thought he cost the team the game, thought he ruined my birthday. I said, you know what, Jack, that was a great hit. You made a mistake, but you learn from it, and you get better next year. And afterward, he was OK, and running around with his friends.

It was a great season. A lot of fun. My son became a baseball player. I remembered how great baseball is.

Wait 'til next year.

2 comments:

Mikey said...

hey jack your boy cousin here hard luck from what I heard you played brilliant which is no surprise to me hard luck you win some you lose some and you cant blame yourself p.s I have a couple of gifts for you!!!

Mikey said...

hey jack your boy cousin here hard luck from what I heard you played brilliant which is no surprise to me hard luck you win some you lose some and you cant blame yourself p.s I have a couple of gifts for you!!!