Monday, February 13, 2006

Why a blog?

Jack moved to a new room in day care last week. Today was the first day I dropped him off there. I waved goodbye as I backed out of the room...his eyes went to me, the teacher, a plastic hippo of some sort, and a little girl running around with a giraffe toy in her hands. He didn't cry. I didn't either. Thought about it for a second, but closed the door with the conviction that everything would be fine. I mean, he'd been fine for his first year, in the old room, when he was a lot younger and more helpless than he was now. But still.

How can someone look so big and powerful in one room and so small and innocent in another?

Why a blog? Because I'm online most of the day anyway. Because I have all this thinking and writing energy that typically gets wasted on thoughts about who the next starting quarterback will be for the Green Bay Packers, what might have happened on the 4th season of The Lost World, and how the writer who follows Brian Michael Bendis on Daredevil will get Matt Murdock out of his current mess.

Because it will help my family and friends forgive me for being so lousy at staying in touch. And because I'm writing a book about being a Dad and my agent tells me I need to do one of these things to promote the sucker. So. Here it is.

No comments: