Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Other Face

Quick one because I'm tired, but I don't want to forget it.

Jack generally wakes up in the mornings in good spirits -- not always, but generally. He'll be in his crib, taking time occasionally to liberate all of his stuffed animals, and he'll be kind of talking, babbling, and sometimes singing.

Grandma Pat sings to him, when she's putting him down for naps or just busying about the kitchen, and one of the songs she sings, when she's giving him food, say, grapes, is "I...love...grapes...They taste good....I love grapes....They taste good." And Jack occasionally sings it too.

The other morning I could hear him in his crib, singing, singing that song, but rather than a food item, he was including all the people he sees on a regular basis. And so: "I ... love... Aunt Taffy....They taste good. I love Daddy. They taste good. I love Mommy. They...." And there'd be a pause before the name, so it was "I..love... Aunt Taffy. They taste good." And he'd run through almost everyone he knows. "I love Lyndsay. They taste good...." Cracked me up.

The other thing is that Jack likes to hug and kiss us goodnight, which is quite nice, but then lately he's started doing this kiss on each cheek thing, like we're European or something. I crouch down and he kisses one cheek, then moves over and kisses my other cheek. And tonight he added "Other face!" to his routine, so he'd kiss my cheek, say "Other face!" and move my head so he could kiss my other cheek.

And then he'd run off into the next room so Mommy could put him to bed.

No comments: