Monday, February 25, 2008

Criss Cross Applesauce ... Please.

Something I've learned from Jack recently is that sitting cross-legged, in what I imagine to be the current daycare vernacular, is called "criss cross applesauce." I have no idea how it came about, but Jack not only uses it but conjugates the thing: "Daddy, are you crissing crossing applesaucing?" I look down to see that I am in fact sitting cross-legged, which when I was a kid was called sitting Indian-style -- not anymore, obviously. Anyway, it's always disturbing to hear my three-year-old son using expressions that I'm unfamiliar with.

So today Jack got home and ran over to play with his new stuffed toy, Curious George, and his longtime favorite, a stuffed dog my parents gave us before he was even born, which has a fleecy white coat and he calls it his "sheep." He sat down on the rug and I sat down with him, and sometime during it he decided I could sit more comfortably than I was. "Daddy, will you criss cross applesauce. Please." And so I did.

What followed was a 10-minute conversation between Curious George (voiced by Jack) and his sheep (voiced by me). It went something like this.

Sheep: "Hi, Curious George."
Curious George: "Hi!"
S: "How was your day?"
CG: "Oh. Good."
S: "What did you do?"
CG: "Oh, I just played."
S: "That's a nice shirt you're wearing."
CG: "Oh. Thank you."
S: "It says Curious George on it."
CG: "What does yours say?"
S: "Mine says 'Boston Red Sox - World Champions - see, there's a picture of a 'B' on it."
CG: "Oh, that's nice. OK - let's go to a party."
S: "A party?"
CG: "Yes. Come on. Over there."
Jack walked Curious George across the rug to near his shelves of toys. "See, I have all these toys." I walked the sheep over to the shelves. "I see. Very nice toys, Jac--er, I mean, Curious George."
I know, not the most fascinating stuff. It was funny, though, because it reminded me of being a kid and playing with my brother, with our little "adventure people," who, I dunno, hiked, and rode in jeeps, and fought sharks and whatever else little action people did back in the day. Having conversations while voicing toys/stuffed animals -- I hadn't done it in a long, long time.

Just another thing Jack's teaching me, I guess.

No comments: