Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Dah Dah

Kate says DaDa. Kind of. The other day I smiled at her and she said "Dah. Dah." She seemed to be talking to me. She said it again the next day when I peered over the crib in the morning. "Dah. Dah." Now, I can't guarantee she doesn't say it at other times -- when she's thinking about eating, or getting tired, or waking up, or making a messy diaper. But I'm going to tell myself that she's saying "DaDa." And, I might be right.

Fortunately, despite my working most of the day until the wee hours of the morning during her first three months of existence, and then working in an office all day during two of the next three, she likes me, and knows who I am. That's kind of cool.

KATE'S TOYS

One of the great things about Kate right now is that virtually all of her toys -- possibly all of them -- have identical charm. No matter what it is, she basically wants to grab it with her hands and put it in her mouth. This can be bad (today I had to keep a metal, musical "kittie in the box" away from her), or it can be good. I was reading Jack a book on the couch, and I noticed that she was sitting on the floor with no toys within reach, gazing up at us. A stuffed penguin, that Nana and Baba gave Jack, was on the couch near me. Without missing a line in the book, I tossed the penguin near her. She looked at it for a few seconds. Reached for it, just like all her various plastic rings and teething toys. And put it in her mouth. Jack didn't notice.

No comments: