Friday, July 17, 2009

Sweet Jack

Jack got up this morning, which reminds me that in Vermont when he got up in the morning he came into our room, which was my old room, planted his feet, put his hands out to the sides, and said, "It's....MORNING!" Anyway, he got up and said he wanted to make cards for his friends at school, Teddy and Jack Sais, because he missed them. I guess they were on vacation last week. So he made cards for them.

Later, we went to the beach, and as we got out of the car, me carrying all of our stuff, Kate and Jack standing there, and then approaching the crosswalk from the parking lot to the beach, Jack said to Kate, "Here, Kate. Take my hand." And they held hands as they crossed the crosswalk.

Playing at the edge of the water later, Kate liked to pick up rocks and walk around with them. Then drop them and watch the splash. Jack went and got her a rock. "Here, Kate."

Jack filled his bucket with too much sand and water to carry it, so that became the location of the dump, because after all the dumptruck had to do something with all the sand he put in the back. Then he started burying me in wet sand, and Kate came over and hit me in the leg with her shovel. Which reminds me, when I gave her the shovel, she took it, looked at it, and then said, "Fok?" Which is her way of saying "fork," which is what she calls the rake that comes with the pail and shovel set.

Snack-time was a highlight, because I got to sit in one place (they liked to run in separate directions, Jack for the water and Kate for basically anywhere else) and they stood still. Well Jack did, standing and crunching down Pirate's Booty and Doritos. Kate seemed to be collecting them, I don't know. She'd take 2, eat one, and put the other on the little chair I'd brought. Then she'd do the same thing again. Then she'd try to sit in the chair. Then the snack food would fall into the sand. Then she'd cry when she'd try to pick it up and I wouldn't let her. Kate, I said, when it falls in the sand, it's not people food anymore.

In the car on the way back, we ate Spider-man gummies, and Kate fell asleep.

1 comment:

robin said...

Sand? Let her eat it. Maybe you need to have a few more kids.