Sunday, August 09, 2009

My Weekend with Jack

Emily and Kate were around this weekend, too, but because Kate naps during the day, I had a couple of trips out with just Jack.

- On Saturday we went to PlayLand; I'd never been there. It's best known, I guess, for its rides and stuff, but Jack wanted to play mini-golf. So we did. It was perhaps the worst mini-golf I've ever played (later, somebody who'd been to PlayLand said to me, "They have mini-golf there?"), but it was Jack's second, and he probably didn't really remember the first, so he enjoyed it. It took him a while to figure out how to hold the club, but I finally got him to let me help him and we managed it. He even had a hole in one! I'd have had a few if he didn't like to stand in front of the hole while I was putting to catch my ball as it came out of the tunnel or whatever. Anyway, the course was lame because there were no real obstacles, just slopes and such (not even a windmill, for crying out loud), but he had fun and that's what's most important. At one point we skipped two holes to get ahead of a slow group and Jack said, "Yeah, I don't want to wait." And sounded a little too much like me.

We then went into PlayLand to check out the games and rides. Didn't actually do any rides because Jack said in advance he didn't want to, and I kind of wanted to see them beforehand anyway, but there were some rides that would have been OK and we could have done them together. Instead, I won him a stuffed Spider-Man (only spent $14 winning probably a $3 toy) by throwing baseballs at clowns, and then he had a blast at this game where you stood on a platform and squirted a hose at a burning apartment complex. He thought it was funny when he squirted the old lady, which I kind of did too. I'm sorry.

- Today we went to the grocery store. Not much to report, but he laughed and laughed when I put him in the cart and pushed it really fast, and then swerved around, and stopped short, and went fast again. His peals of giggling just bubble up out of him, it's pretty funny. Lots of people looked at us. Everyone smiled.

No comments: