Sunday, February 28, 2010

Kate talking

Kate can be quite chatty at times. When she wakes up after a good night's sleep, for example, she'll talk for a while in her crib. It usually culminates in a, "Daddy!" Pause. "DADDY!" Longer pause. "MOMMY!"

Before she goes to sleep, she also talks at length. Today, before her nap, I heard her talking to her various stuffed toys. "You good boy, Tyrone? You good boy. You too, Austin?" Talking to her Backyardigans. When I got her after her nap, she'd lined them all up, sitting, like an audience for her nap. Funny.

Emily notes how she can't be bothered with things like prepositions. It's all, "You like waffles? I like waffles. You go gym? I go play. You have coffee? You LIKE coffee? I dohlike (it's sort of a contraction of "don't like") coffee...."

That contraction, actually, comes into use a lot. When something at dinner doesn't agree with her. "I dohlike dat....I dohlike pohtaytoes....You like pohtaytoes? I DO like dem....I dohlike dat...."

She chatters away to Jack sometimes, too. "Hi Jack....you good boy? You nap, Jack? You dohnap? I nap. You do puzzle, Jack? You do puzzle me, Jack? I do puzzle. I like puzzle...."

Folding laundry this afternoon. "I help you? I help. I fold. I folding." She stretches a sheet out on the floor and lies down on it. "I folding. I helping? I help YOU....."

Bedtime. She turns to Emily. "You put ME bed? You put me bed. You put Jack bed? Daddy put me bed? Daddy put JACK bed?" Nodding sagely. Then, "Daddy put Jack bed....You put ME bed." Happy.

No comments: