Wednesday, February 10, 2010

winter

So it was snowing out this morning, a lot, and everyone was home, so the critical goal of the day is building a snowman. First there was breakfast, TV, and probably a puzzle or two, and then it was time to suit up and build the thing.

To their credit, the kids didn't take much coaxing. Both agreeably let me help them into snowpants, boots -- actually it was sad, Kate got her boots on by herself, and was so proud, but I had to take them off to get the snowpants on -- jackets, hats, gloves, etc. Jack had his own complication, he wanted to put his jacket on before the snowpants, So anyway, I got them suited up, then went to look for my own snowpants, boots, et al. Then put Kate's hat and gloves back on.

We got outside and were hit with a wall of wind and snow. It was still snowing, and the wind was strong. Kate: "Pick me up!" She extended her arms to emphasize it. I picked her up and we struggled into the backyard. I put her down, explaining there was a snowman to be made. She stood in place, grudgingly.

Jack traipsed around a bit. I started making the snowman's body, then started another for his head, which Jack finished. We did a pretty good job. Emily came out. Kate raised her arms to her. I went in to get a hat, gloves, and scarf for the snowman. Jack helped me find twigs and rocks for its features. Oh yeah, Emily brought a carrot, which Kate showed interest in. No, Kate, it's the snowman's nose, not a snack.

We built the snowman. At this point Kate no longer wanted to go in. She pointed and smiled. "Snowman!" Jack and I debated building a snowdog or something, but ended up just throwing snowballs at each other. Mine hit him in the legs. His snowball blasted me in the face from 4 feet away. I fell over, at least somewhat playing.

When we went inside, they both said "Bye, snowman." Jack actually yelled from the door. "BYE, SNOWMAN!!!!"

During Kate's nap, Jack and I went outside again. We played around in the snow, then went in the backyard. Again I considered making a snow dog, but it wasn't working. We made a serpent, kind of, but it too wasn't that great. The snow wasn't quite as sticky as would have been ideal. Jack took the serpent idea and started making little hills in the yard. I asked him why, and he said, "I'm making mountains." Then, "Let's make them all over the yard." I said, uh, why? And he said, "Because." He made 3 more and then said, "I don't want to make mountains anymore."

The wind picked up so we went inside.

No comments: