Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Father's Day

It was our first morning in our new house, so we really didn't have much in the way of breakfast in bed or what have you. I got cards from Jack, Kate and Emily; I drank lots of coffee; and we unpacked a few things. DirecTV came, but they couldn't get us hooked up. So it was sticky and hot and the day looked to have some packing and probably whining in it (since the kids were up too early), so we decided to go to the beach.

I asked Jack if he wanted to go; he had been watching TV and that usually led to him saying, "No." I ignored it and said, "Great! Get your suit on!"

We piled into the car and headed off. Kate napped some. It was overcast most of the way to the beach and I worried about rain. But it didn't. Instead the rest of the day went like this...

- We went down to the water and splashed at the edge and made mudpies

- Jack and I went in the water and found shells. Kate and Mommy went back to the towels for a snack for Kate

- We made sand castles

- We had sandwiches and chips and a coke and they were fantastic

- We found a horseshoe crab in the water and we admired it for a bit until we realized it was either very sleepy or dead. Then we moved away.

- Kate splashed me from the edge of the water and I splashed her back. She laughed

- Jack and I fought the waves. Jack said we had to punch and kick the whitecaps. I explained that this was an infinite job but we spent the next 20 minutes doing it anyway. He seemed to have limitless energy. I was exhausted.

- We fought the waves more

- We'd been there about 3 hours, probably our longest beach trip ever, and were getting ready to leave. I packed up the stuff while the kids got distracted on the way back to the towels by a mudhole. They continued playing.

- The kids napped in the car on the way back, chins down on their chests

- At home, I gave them their first baths in the new tub. Both were covered in sand and mud. And groggy from napping. And happy.

- The Rosenfelds had us over for dinner. I was expecting hotdogs, but as we walked in Cathy held up a huge, writhing lobster. I was surprised, Jack was alarmed. And the lobster and beer were both awesome.

No comments: