Friday, June 04, 2010

Graduation

Jack's graduation from daycare was this morning. We got him dressed up in a little polo shirt and shorts, and Kate in a nice dress, and dropped him off early, so he and his class could get ready. On the way he caught his hand in the door. He cried but was OK. Probably hurt a decent amount.

Emily and I and Kate sat in this little church hall next door to the daycare. It was all decorated with balloons. The administrator made some opening remarks, and then his class -- all of whom would be going to kindergarten in the fall -- paraded in. They all wore little mortarboards and carried flags; Jack held his flag up high. They took their seats and he fidgeted with his hat.

After some opening remarks from teachers, a student was called up to lead the Pledge of Allegiance -- Jack. He recited every word clearly so that everyone could hear. Emily and I swelled with pride.

Each child came up and announced their name, age, and what they wanted to be when they grew up. Each parent tried to get pictures and make out what they said. We didn't catch what Jack said; later it turned out that he said, "I haven't decided yet." Good job, Jack.

The kids sang some songs together (Mr. Sun, Happy and you know it, etc.), then got their diplomas, one by one. Pretty cool.

After came food, pictures with friends, and ice cream. Jack picked an ice cream sandwich.

Jack and one of his classmates since he started there, Olivia, struck goofy poses for pictures. Very funny. All that was missing was them throwing their caps in the air.

At home, Emily and I gave Jack his graduation present, a hardback edition of Where the Wild Things Are. I sat down and read it to him, and he said, "Can you read it again?" So I read it again, and as we finished he took it out of my hands, sighed, and said, "I love this book."

I needed to mail a package, so I asked Jack if he wanted to come with me. I told him he could press the buttons on the machine. So he came (with his book and stuffed doggie), and helped me press buttons, and put the package into the bin. As we left, there were painted footprints on the floor, about six feet apart. He leaped and stretched his little legs to step in each of the footprints on his way out of the post office.

We took the shortcut through the office park, past the duck pond. "Hi, Sloppy!" Jack yelled. He calls the duck with a green head Sloppy, apparently because of the way he eats his bread.

As we parked and walked up our steps, Jack said, "I've got a funny joke. Pretend I'm still holding your hand." Then he snuck over and stood behind the edge of the garage. I played along. Then he said, "Now pretend I'm invisible." I continued, walking ahead as if I was holding Jack's hand. He jumped out, laughing. "That was a pretty good joke, right?"

No comments: