Tuesday, November 02, 2010

playing together

Today I played some football in the backyard with Jack and Kate. I held the ball, and they took turns running up and kicking it. We've done it the last two days, it's become a routine now I like to think.

I went in after that, but they stayed outside. I checked on them every few minutes. At one point they were sitting, facing each other, holding their hands up. Patty-cake I think. I checked again a few minutes later, and they were standing up, pretending to fall down, laughing.

Then Jack was teaching her how to do animals. Arms over head, giraffe. Arms swinging low, elephant. Lion. Other animals.

They started singing bedtime songs to each other. Edelweiss, Mr. Sun, other staples. Sometimes Jack was louder, but Kate's voice would seep in every now and then.

Not aware I was watching them, they played and laughed and made up games and songs and dances for each other.

Half an hour later, maybe longer, they came in, their cheeks red and eyes bright. It was kind of cold out. "Daddy!" We lay on the rug together, catching our breath and being happy.

No comments: