Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pumpkin Patch


So we needed to get one more pumpkin to carve, and my first thought was to go to Stop and Shop. And then I thought, NO! We're going to Sam Bridge Nursery, which has an actual pumpkin patch and stuff the kids can do. So I picked them up after school and we went right there.

It was awesome. We parked, grabbed a wagon, and I pulled them down to the patch. They jumped out to say hi to the big inflatable Frankenstein monster, and the three little pigs and big bad wolf, and the ghosts, and the scarecrows. And then they ran around in the middle of the pumpkins, and in the hay maze. They jumped from bale to bale and frankly I was a little nervous but Kate can jump further than you would think. Or than I thought. They did this for about half an hour, while I carefully and meticulously selected a couple of pumpkins. There was a tractor, which they climbed on, and off, and on, over and over again. I'm not sure they'd have left if I hadn't finally said it was time to go.

In the car on the way home, they happily sang pumpkin songs.

Kate:

"Mr. Pumpkin
Mr. Pumpkin
he's so orange
he's so orange"


Jack:

"When the ghost went out,
on Halloween night,
he screamed.......!
and he dropped his head right onto his toe!"

There were others, but those are the only words I can remember.

At home, they had a Halloween party. Kate wore a pumpkin cat mask she'd made at school. Jack quickly made a colorful skeleton mask. They made a sign; Jack wrote the words, Kate drew pictures of the pumpkins, hay bales, and tractor. It was pretty great. Then Kate came to me and asked me how to spell "pumpkin patch" so she could finish the writing. She did.

At the party, Jack read Halloween stories, and also Lost and Found, aloud, while Kate listened in rapt attention.

During the time they were running wildly around the pumpkin patch, Jack paused for a moment and said to me, "I feel bad for the kids who have to go to after school program!" Then he ran off.

I can't tell many people that, but it was pretty cool.

No comments: