Friday, May 17, 2013

Mistakes

So, I didn't feel like a great Dad a couple of times today. The first time, Kate's class was having a picnic at Crawford park, and I was supposed to show up (apparently it was more certain in her mind than mine), and I was running late, and I got a little lost. One of our friends who was there called me, and said Kate was kind of upset. So I finally got there, and not only was she sad, but she was freezing, dressed for hot weather but it was kind of cool and breezy at the park.she had a sweatshirt, left at school. So I picked her up and she clung to me, all sad and freezing. We ate cold hotdogs, and the Magic Show started, and things got better. Finally.

At night, I saw Jack had this old video game of mine from the attic, where they aren't supposed to go, and I got angry at him and took it away. And his face kind of crumpled, as it does when he's really upset, and he said miserably, "But Mommy said I could have it...." And I immediately felt bad, and said, you know, I always meant for us to play it, it was mine when I was a kid, it needs batteries, but we'll get them and play with it. And he was brightening, and said, "Now that I know it was yours when you were a kid, I will be extra careful with it." And we read a dinosaur book and he went to bed.

I forget sometimes how much they love me, I guess, forget how easily they can be hurt, or disappointed, or sad. But they are also very quick to forgive, and to rally, and to cheer up. Quicker than me.

No comments: