Sunday, May 05, 2013

Tryouts

Jack had tryouts this morning for Summer Travel baseball. It is a pretty competitive league that would have a lot of kids playing at a higher level of baseball than him, but some at the same, I think as well. He would basically be playing baseball 5 or 6 days a week this summer, and either get pretty good or get tired of it.

We walked over at about 10 am for tryouts. Some of his friends were there, some kids he only slightly knew. I am friendly with a lot of the other parents from the baseball he plays in now.

It was 2 hours of parents standing around watching their kids do drills. Sometimes we stood, sometimes we sat on stands, sometimes we paced. I get that this is apparently something parents do, watch their kids try out for things, but it was all new to me. I watched him hit and was impressed, he connected on 5 in a row, good solid contact. I watched him in the infield, respectable, outfield, so so. He did as well as he plays, threw well, tried hard. What I said to him beforehand, just do your best. He did.

Walking home, there was a moment when he lamented he didn't think he was good enough. I gave encouragement, easily, honestly, seemed to cheer him. Emily did the same at home, when again he fretted he didn't make it. Seems to me it could go either way.

I will be disappointed if he doesn't make it, because I think he has some talent. Objectively, even though I am not objective. I have been told good things by others, coaches. If he makes it, I think he could actually become pretty good. Better than I ever was. He might already be better than I was. Seriously. We play in the backyard and I can't believe how well he can throw. The ball soars. A year ago the yard was plenty big. Now it is less certain.

Later in the afternoon, I asked him if he wanted to toss the football around. Just thought he needed a break. We did it for 2 minutes, and then he said, "Can we play baseball?" A month ago, he only wanted to toss the football around. Things change quickly.

So we played baseball, and I watched his throws soar.

No comments: