Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sick, birthdays, sick, etc.

Friday was the kids' last day of school, so we collected them, hugged their teachers (Kate drew a picture captioned "I love you, Mrs. Glockenberg," with two smiling figures in it with one saying to the other, I love you!) and went to have Mexican food. But Jack was starting to get sick, and he didn't eat much and then went home and lay in bed/on the couch all weekend. So that's pretty much Jack's story.

Kate and I went to the pool. Both days. She loves to swim. Jack likes to play or throw a ball in the water. Kate likes to jump in the water, swim in a circle, climb out, and jump in again. I think she did it 300 times the last two days. Sometimes I would stand in the middle of the pool and she would swim to me, and then back. Other times I would sit on the edge and she would swim from me, and then back. Aside from forays to the playground, and shuffleboard (she CHEATS!), that was pretty much how things went.

Kate also had two birthday parties this weekend. One was apparently fine, she had a blast. The other, well, she had a minor meltdown as Emily dropped her off, another later on (leading to me and Jack having to go collect her, except she was fine then) and a third toward the end of the party, leading to Emily collecting her early. Kind of a mess. Maybe she was starting to get sick, maybe she was tired, or maybe she was just in one of those moods where she was easily upset and couldn't shake it, as happens every so often.

Sunday evening, Jack was a little better, and Kate was perfectly happy again. We sat on the deck, ate grilled chicken and corn, and it felt like a nice end to a perfect summer weekend, although it wasn't. We will try again next week.


No comments: