Thursday, October 10, 2013

Comic convention

One of my kid memories was going to my first ever comic convention in Boston. My dad drove me and a friend 3 hours there, we arrived, spent all our cash in 15 minutes on a huge stack of comics, and said, OK, let's go. And we drove home.

So I got tickets for Jack and me to the Thursday date. He was pretty excited, telling all his friends and teacher about it. I picked him up early at school and he came running out. Emily believes Jack would be ecstatic for us to be doing pretty much anything alone together, and she might be right.

We drove in, chatting a little about baseball, swimming, comics. Guy stuff. Parked, found our way in. Gaped. The place was huge, there were thousands and thousands of people, it was a mob. Jack was really into the people all dressed up...we took pictures of him and cactus guy, Jack Frost, other stuff. The costumes were all pretty cool...some really get into it. A couple of Wreck It Ralph's, several Supergirls, lots of zombies. Lots of kids in costume too.

Best parts? Well, there was Jack playing with Legos with a couple of little kids in the Lego/Mattel area. Making an octopus I think. There was him digging through old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle comics, finding ones he liked. Speaking like the minions from Despicable Me 2. Helping me find comics, sharing this cool freeze-dried ice cream, sleeping in the car on the way home.

Best though was us, hungry and exhausted with sore feet, buying a couple of hotdogs, sitting against a wall, eating them with a bag of Fritos and sharing a water. "Dad, is the comic convention once a year? Will we go next year, too?" Maybe we will.

No comments: