Thursday, October 24, 2013

Good Dad, Bad Dad

Took Kate to gymnastics today. It was just us, Jack had a baseball practice. Usually he is along, and we listen to music and they talk over each other. Today I left the radio off, trying to do that a little more often, and Kate and I chatted about her day. She told me about drawing candy corns, and how they did this math thing with pictures of candy corns, and it was all very cute.

We talked about being important, because she said something recently about Jack being more important, which obviously concerned us. But I think, now, maybe it was a case where one of us used the remark in reference to getting ready for something, probably baseball, and he was "more important" because he had to be there sooner. Because today, on the way to gymnastics she said she was the important one. And I said, you are always the important one. You and Jack both are. Anyway, I got the sense she was meaning it differently than we initially feared.

Took Jack to a Haunted House deal at the Middle School. Thought it would be fun, scary, but fun. Well, he didn't have fun. Too scary for him. I don't blame him. It was scary, and they had zombies and ghouls and stuff groaning and moaning at us. I guess it was his first exposure to anything, you know, scary. And maybe he was too young.

He seemed OK after we had been out of it for 5 minutes or so. I kept telling him it was just people in costumes, some of whom we saw afterward walking around the halls. He nodded. And said, but it was still scary. And I said, yeah, I know.

Probably a bad call by me.

No comments: