Monday, January 13, 2014

Funny Kate

At Jack's swim practice today, Kate and I played Go Fish, as we often do. I won my second straight game. At bedtime I said, Kate, I had a fun playing Go Fish with you. She looked at me funny and said, "Me too, Daddy. Although, I don't think I've won in a long time!"

She had dry lips and I sent her down the hall for a drink of water. As she walked, no ran, no, skipped down the hall, she sang. "I am going... To get.... A drink... Of... WATER!!!!!" She skipped back, then skipped off again, still singing. "Getting...more...water!"

She has notes written on her bedroom door. One reads, "Do not come in." The second reads, "Do not come in unless you want to play with me. From: Kate."

I took her to the grocery store with me yesterday. Shopping with the kids can be difficult -- they generally want to buy things I don't want to buy, usually sugary cereals -- but I actually think I enjoy shopping more with Kate than alone. Because she usually has some amusing observations ("There sure are a lot of people buying fruit today"), questions ("Can I go say Hi to the lobsters?") or general remarks ("I like raspberry yogurt best. Is it time to get yogurt yet? Oh, no, we get that near the end. Can we get the scanner? Can I hold the cereal? I want to carry it. Here, I'll put it on the scanner...."). She's pretty entertaining.

I put Kate to bed last night. When she's sleepy she's very peaceful. We read her Magic Kitten book (this crazy book where a lion has changed into a kitty or somesuch but can do magic!). Sometimes she reads, and then she gets tired and asks me to read. But every minute or two she interrupts, because she's trying to follow along on the page but has lost her way. "Where are you? Oh, I see. OK." With Jack, sometimes we read together, but mostly he reads to himself. I'll miss it when Kate does the same.

No comments: