Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Brown Bear

I read different books to Jack each night, but usually certain old favorites creep back in. Like "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?"

To keep my own interest, I tend to do different voices for the animals. The duck sounds like a duck, the dog rowfs like a dog, the frog gurgles like a frog, etc. Jack loves it.

Yesterday was a new one though, as after I'd finished reading it, HE decided to read it to me. He can't really read per se; he's just memorized it. So, he took the book and started in. With voices. Jack's voices were basically slow, low and deep, so "Brown bear, brown bear" became "brrowwnnbear, brrowwnnbear." And then his next voice for the duck was the same voice, but a little bit lower, and a little bit slowwwerrr, and a little bit deeeepppper. By the time he got to the cat his voice was almost inaudible. "Prpl cat, prpl cat, whaDyuSee...." Pretty funny.

Similarly amusing is that his memory of which animals comes next isn't perfect, so he had to fliip ahead. For example:

"Yllw duck, yllw duck, whuh Dyuh see? I see - Um (This is his normal voice, as he drops out of character and flips to the next page, checks the animal, then turns back, and drops his voice back into character) - I see a blue horse looking at me."

He did this for pretty much the entire book. He even kind of rasped out the teacher's voice, which I do in falsetto with a Southern accent for no apparent reason. Good stuff.

No comments: