Sunday, June 29, 2008

Jack, reminiscing

Jack's only 3 and a half, but he reminisces a lot.

"Remember when we went to the beach and we splashed in the water?" Yes, Jack, that was yesterday.

"Remember when we went and got chicken nuggets and french fries?" Yup, that was yesterday too.

"Remember when you told me the story about the monsters and the robots?" Last night? Or one of the last 10 nights, when that was also the story I told you?

(Side note: Jack likes made-up stories, which is really stretching the limits of my imagination these days. It started with him wanting stories based on books we read. So, we read "Escape of Marvin the Ape," in which Marvin the Ape escapes from the zoo (great book), and Jack wanted a story about that. And each time, the story got bigger, with (for example) a new activity and a new friend for Marvin. I'd go with, for example, Barry the Bear. And Jack took the idea and ran with it, each ensuing night. So, as I'd start to tell the story, Jack would say, "I thought of another friend for Marvin....Snakey the snake." Or, "Giraffy the giraffe." And so on. Until on the 10th night or so, it was "One day, Marvin the ape and his friends, Barry the bear, Giraffy the giraffe, Snakey the snake, Lion the lion, Fishy the fish....(etc.) decided to have a picnic."

I'm not sure how the superheroes stories started. Might have been after I gave him the Iron Man toys as a gift. Suddenly he wanted superheroes to go around fighting monsters. And then monsters and robots. And then monsters and robots and Power Rangers -- I have no idea where that came from, we don't watch them, somebody at school must have had a lunch box or T-shirt or somesuch. Anyway, the stories are the best I can come up with and they all involve the monsters or robots or Power Rangers doing something only mildly bad like stealing people's ice cream or something, and the heroes using their ray beams or webs or whatever on the monsters until they recognize the error of their ways and become good.)

"Remember when I wore Kate's hat?" Yes, it was too small for you and you stretched it out so she'll never be able to wear it again.

"Remember when you tickled me and made me laugh so much? That was so funny." Yes it was. "Let's do that again." OK, Jack.

No comments: