Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Bath time

Jack has a bath every night, and normally I give it to him -- normally Emily is putting Kate to bed around then. To Jack it's a big thrill how now he gets to go downstairs and play after his bath; this is because we give him his bath earlier so Kate's still awake when it's going on, since it can be noisy.

Tonight I sat and watched him play, with several different little squirty animal bath toys: alligator, seahorse, sting ray. He had set the alligator aside and was playing with the seahorse (which he referred to as "the brother") and the sting ray ("sister"). And the seahorse was showing the sister what to do and instructing her on how to do or not do things.

"See," he was saying, "you jump over here like this." And he had the seahorse leap from one side of the tub to the other. "Now you do it, and you get a gold medal." (This is most likely a Backyardigans reference, from an episode called "Race around the world.") The sting ray jumped too. "That's right, sister. Here is your gold medal. Oh, thank you. And here's my gold medal too."

I watched this for about 10 minutes or so. I'm not sure he noticed I was there.

No comments: