Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Drawing Kate


Kate has always liked Jack's markers; she'd grab them and walk around with them clutched tightly in each little fist. She's not strong enough to get the tops off, so it's not a worry yet. Now she's interested in the easel. Jack and I had made a picture recently; she at some point had used a marker (with the top on it) to smear all the dry-erase ink around.

So last night I sat down at the board with her. I drew with a marker, she whacked at it with a marker with the top still on. I took the top off and gave the marker back to her, showing her how to make actual marks on the board. She immediately went to lick the marker. I took it away; she cried; I tried again. This repeated, until I gave her back the marker with the cap on. She gave me a look and walked off with the marker. My marker, I could tell she was thinking.

After a minute, she came back to the board. Stood next to me. Looked at me with a big, broad smile. Looked at the capped marker in her hand. And then turned to the easel and whacked at it again. For a while we drew together, me making marks, her whacking at the marks. Chiming in her trademark "Aaaaa-aaaa-AAAAA!" Throwing me a grin every now and again.

For now, I guess, that's drawing Kate.

No comments: