Thursday, November 06, 2008

Sick Kate

Kate got sent home sick from daycare yesterday; well, they didn't make her go home alone, they called me. Fever of 101.9. I got her, figured, well, no biggie, we'll get her some liquids and rest and she'll be fine, little cold or virus. Turned out being pretty scary, initially because she did this thing where I thought she was awake and I picked her up and her eyes were open but not focusing on me and she was kind of limp and moaning...turns out she was asleep, or mostly asleep, so heavily that she didn't even know I was there. Took me 10 minutes of near panic and debating with myself, is she asleep or is she awake and disoriented, what should I do, is she OK, why don't I call...Oh. She's sleeping.

Anyway. She slept well last night and seemed mostly OK this morning, but come this afternoon she was starting to feel really warm. Temperature of 102.1. So, I took her to the doctor. She was OK in the waiting room, looking at the fish in the tank and pointing at things: "Yes, Light, Katie. Uh-huh, Fish. That's a little girl. Yup, another light." Fine in the office, until she saw the doctor, the same one who gave her a flu shot less than two weeks ago. She appeared to remember, clinging to me and wailing. That was fun. "So yes, Doctor, I, excuse me, I TOOK HER TEMPERATURE...Katie, it's okay....AND IT WAS...."

Turns out she's getting molars and has a cold or virus of some sort, so yeah, she's not feeling too great. Rest and liquids and maybe Tylenol. We went home and she fell asleep in the car, so I let her sleep in the garage (it's downstairs from our living room for about 20 minutes -- her first garage nap, actually). When she woke up she just wanted to be held, so I held her in my arm like a baby and watched a little bit of Resident Evil, which yes is a really inappropriate choice but her eyes were closed, I promise. And we did that until Mommy and Jack got home.

It's funny the difference. When she's healthy, she's a little dynamo, pulling toys off shelves and magazines off coffee tables, making a beeline for the stairs as soon as my back is turned (and when she reaches the stairs, turning to look for me, so she can smile and say, "Da!" As in, that's right, I'm going up the stairs again, oh yeah, that's right." Sick, she's like the anti-Kate. No energy. She actually crawled a little bit today. No desire to do anything but sit in my arms, find Mr. Thumb, and half-sleep or sleep.

She rallied this evening, walking around a little with her rings on her arm (note picture from a week ago) which was huge progress for her. And hopefully we'll all sleep. Good night.

No comments: