Friday, March 13, 2009

Missing them

I've been away from the kids for the last week, helping my parents out up in Vermont. Until you spend that much time away, you don't realize the things you'll miss.

- I miss Jack saying after dinner, "Did I do pretty well?" (i.e., do I get to have dessert?)

- I miss Kate bringing me over a book like Backyardigans or Brown Bear, Brown Bear to read to her.

- I miss Jack placing whatever toy he's favoring this week on the little table next to the kitchen table while he eats his food.

- I miss Kate getting excited when she sees The Backyardigans on the TV.

- I miss Jack asking me to play Superheroes.

- I miss Kate trying to put on her own shoes or slippers.

- I miss singing Kate swing on a star and singing Jack high hopes before bedtime.

- I miss giving them baths.

- I miss getting Kate at school and having her run into my arms.

- I miss getting Jack at school and having him casually continue playing with his friends, but his little face lighting up at my being there.

- I miss Jack talking about his day. I miss Kate just making her random talking noises, which sometimes include "Daddy."

- I miss the two of them running around the backyard. I miss the two of them running around the driveway.

- I only kind of miss Kate wailing as I strap her into her car seat.

- I miss Kate standing up in her crib and babbling excitedly when I come to get her after her nap.

- I miss Jack coming in in the mornings, pointing out the clock radio and the fact that it's after 6 o'clock, and then giving me his stuffed toys while he goes in the bathroom to pee. I further miss him then shuffling into his room with his pajamas around his ankles to get a pair of underwear on.

- I miss making Lego structures with Jack. I miss doing block puzzles with Kate.

- I miss my kids.

No comments: