Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Artists

Before dinner tonight Jack saw something and asked what it was, and Emily said it was for Mikey, since his birthday was coming up. And Jack said, I want to make a card for Mikey. And so he did. I was in the kitchen, and here's what I heard.

Jack: "I'm going to draw Mikey a Bionicle. How do you spell Bionicle?"

"I also want to make Star Wars. Mikey likes Star Wars. He's going to think it's so cool!"

"I made Mikey a picture of a gun. I know there's no guns allowed in the house. But, it's a Star Wars gun. (Pause.) Because Mikey likes Star Wars. (Pause.) It's a laser gun."

"He's gonna really like this. He'll be so excited."

"I want to put Abbey's name on the card too. How do you spell Abbey?"

Emily: "I don't think Abbey likes Bionicles and Star Wars. We should make Abbey her own card."

Jack: "OK. What does Abbey like? Does she like castles? I'm going to make a castle with a Queen in it. And a dungeon."

"This is the dungeon. How do you spell dungeon?"

Kate came into the kitchen. Big, hopeful smile on her face. "Goldfish?" No, Kate. Dinner's in 5 minutes.

Kate came into the kitchen again. Earnest, proud smile on her face. Holding up a piece of paper which she'd colored on with three or four different colors. Her artwork. "Mine," she said. Holding it up so I could see. Very proud. That's a great picture, Kate. Sweet smile from her.

She returned to the living room. I looked in after her. She was crouching down near Jack, who was still busily drawing. She wanted to show him her picture. "My picture," she said. Jack was oblivious. Emily: "Jack, Kate wants to show you her picture. Jack? Jack, please tell Kate it's a nice picture."

Jack looked up. "That's a nice picture, Kate."

Kate was happy.

No comments: