Saturday, September 12, 2009

Sidekick

Last weekend I had to go out to run errands -- get wine, pick up food. Normally Jack joins me on these little trips, but he was watching a TV show and exhausted, so he declined.

Kate piped up: "Me come!" It was a little new, but I said, well, OK.

We need to get your shoes on, Kate. "Otay!" She got her shoes. We put them on and headed down to the car. I started out carrying her, but she's been kind of into doing things on her own lately. "My walk." So, she walked. I was going to lift her into the car, but again, she's kind of independent right now. "My in." She climbed in.

At the liquor store, she was quite a charmer. She walked along holding my hand. Everyone looked down at her, smiles. Old guy with a beard crouched down to say hello. She's shy, normally, but I don't know, maybe she felt safe holding my hand. Smiled sweetly at everyone. Stood at my feet as I paid. I pointed out the parrot, brought her over to say hi. She pointed. "Bird."

Same deal at the pizza place. Heads turned as I carried her in. Smile and wave, girl, smile and wave.

We got home with the wine and pizza. Emily came down the staircase to meet us coming up. "Mommy!"

Last night, I was going out, and ordering pizza in. At around 5 I told Jack and Kate, I need to call and order pizza. Kate: "Me come! Me come!" She disappeared, then came back holding her sandals in her hand. "Me come," she said. I had to disappoint her by explaining the food was being brought to us this time.

In a couple of hours, she'll be two years old.

No comments: