Thursday, September 10, 2009

Burgers, Fries and Shakes

Opening night of football season, so we decided to get burgers, fries and shakes at a restaurant called...er...Burger, Fries and Shakes. Emily had to work late, so I left work, picked up the kids, and headed to the restaurant.

We got a place out front and I brought the kids in. First ones there. I ordered, and we had the run of the place. First Jack climbed up on the big tall chair. Then Kate wanted to, too, so I put her up on a big tall chair. Then Jack wanted to sit on one of the smaller chairs looking out the window, so he moved over there. Kate wanted to, too. I took a picture of them sitting in chairs looking out the window.

Jack asked where the burgers were. I lifted him up, way way up, so he could see over the pretty tall counter to the grill. Kate wanted to, too.

We got the food. Jack wanted to carry the shakes but I thought that would be a bad idea. We made our way out to the car, and home. Jack: "I'm so hungry. Hurry, Daddy! I'm so HUNGRY!" Not whiny though; enthusiastic. We got home, and Jack was first out of the car and starting up the stairs. "Let's GO!" Sorry Jack, I thought I'd unbuckle Kate from her car seat.

We go through what is an occasional, recent dilemma about where Kate will sit. She's tiring of the high chair, so we give her the option of sitting at the table, but then she wants to go into a different chair....yeah. Anyway, everyone's finally in their seats, all around the square table, and Jack and Kate have their milkshakes and I'm scarfing down my burger because I too am hungry.

Jack drinks his milkshake quietly. Kate is struggling a bit with the straw and then she figures it out. She gives us the "OOOOoooooooo" look as she tastes it. She's also started saying "Yay-uh!" for "yeah." It's like she has an accent. Pretty funny. I watch as she struggles with the straw a little more. She patiently waits for it to come near her mouth, then tries to get it, and it moves again. Funny. She finally gets it though, more milkshake. Big smile.

Jack has been quiet for a few minutes. Then: "I think this milkshake has made me sick." I reach over. He's basically polished off the entire 12 ounce milkshake in the last 3 minutes. Oops. I'm sure that will have consequences later.

"Is a milkshake ice cream?" Jack asks. Yes, we explain. It's basically like having dessert while you eat dinner. Jack likes this idea.

Everybody enjoyed their burgers (well, me and Emily, and Jack ate half a one, which is amazing for him, especially given all the shake he drank), fries (all of us) and shakes.

Especially the shakes.

No comments: