Thursday, October 22, 2009

I love Halloween, etc.


I love Halloween, for so many reasons. I love all the decorations, I love the themes, I love the costumes, I love the colors. And fortunately, my kids do too.

-Every day after school we go to look at the neighbors' decorations (on both sides). They touch and/or hug the big inflatable pumpkin snowman, wave at the big scary-looking bat (I think Kate is a little afraid of it, but she gamely approaches it anyway), say "Hi, ghost!" to the ghost.

-Jack is drawing ghosts, skeleton, bats, haunted houses. I'm attaching a picture; he drew all the pieces himself, cut them out, pasted them on his wall. I took them off today to scan them.

-I got him the Ed Emberly book of Halloween. We had lots of Ed Emberly books when I was a kid. We drew things from it last night. And this morning. And probably for the next week or more.

-I got Frankenberry and Booberry cereal at the store today. I never had it as a kid (and didn't care, I don't think). But the box looks so awesome I had to get it. (It was $1.88 -- are these 1970s prices? Or is it because it's so bad for you they're apologizing by at least not making it expensive?)

-We got Mr. Potato Head Pirate pieces (Emily found them somewhere), and decorated a pumpkin with them. The pumpkin has an eyepatch and the actual pumpkin has kind of a scar on it -- perfectly fitting. It's currently rotting in our living room, 'cause we poked holes in it and stuff, so we'll put it out on the steps soon.

-This weekend we carve the pumpkins, and I'll re-create the same goofy looking pumpkin I've done for the last, I dunno, 10 years or so.

-Jack and I have been to the party stores for Halloween decorations and kitschy things. Three or four times. "AGAIN, Dad?" "C'MON, JACK!"

- I got Kate an adaptation of the Backyardigans Halloween special. We gave it to her last night. She's been home and awake about 4 hours since then....I think we've read it 27 times. Kate loves the Backyardigans these days. She carries around all five stuffed toys, which used to be Jack's but he's moved on. And I say "carries around," to mean that they accompany her into the crib...out of the crib...into the living room....into the kitchen....she walks along slowly, with all of them clutched in her arms. "Pabool....Tawon....Sasha....Awtin...Unkwa" (Pablo, Tyrone, Tasha, Austin, Uniqua).

____________________________________________________________


Other stuff, because I haven't blogged in a while.

-Kate's a little afraid of the stone gargoyle in our garage. She ran away from it the other day. Jack and I explained it wasn't real ...just a toy. "OH!" she said. "Toy!" And laughed. But she still keeps her distance.

-When I pick up Jack in the school playground, Kate immediately runs to this one bouncy thing and bounces up and down happily as I'm getting the details on Jack's day. "Did he nap? Did he eat? Was he too annoying with that Halloween book that has an evil laugh when you turn to the last page?" (Which he loves.)

-Kate got her first real haircut the other day. She looks beautiful.

No comments: