Friday, March 12, 2010

Guest blog

I worked in an office today; it happens every once in a while. When it happens on a Friday, when the kids aren't in school, Emily works from home. So this morning instead of staying in my pajamas until around noon -- unless it was one of those Fridays I got the kids dressed and we walked the block to Dunkin' Donuts -- I showered, got dressed, and stumbled off to work. And Emily stayed home. Let's hear what she has to say.

  • Trying to actually work from home and pay attention to two young children is hard. Very hard. So I'm not afraid to admit it: they watched entirely too much TV today.
  • On the bright side, at least they didn't watch the same shows they usually do. They branched out a bit, watching something called "Cyberchase" that had penguins in it, and that made Jack burst out laughing a few times, which is definitely one of my favorite sounds in the world.
  • I managed to get them dressed before 10 o'clock, finally bribing them with a promise that mommy would finally take a break and play with them for a bit, but only if they were dressed. So they got dressed, and we played Zoominoes, the new favorite game. Then all hell broke loose workwise, and then I was stressed for the next hour or so, trying to get done what I needed to get done for work.
  • For lunch I made macaroni and cheese. They were all, it's too hot, it's too hot, it's too hot. Jack said, "Daddy usually rinses it off with cold water first." I told him I wasn't going to do that, but I mixed it up a little bit and blew on it. I said it was OK and offered one to Kate. She carefully tasted one, ate it, then looked at Jack. "It's good!" she said. The taster.
Now back at me. When I got home, Jack greeted me at the door, Kate was doing something or other in the living room, Emily was buried under a sea of papers and toys...or not.

Anyway, it was a nice reminder I'm a pretty lucky guy.

No comments: