Friday, March 26, 2010

Robot Day

As I was going to bed last night, the eve of my first Friday at home with the kids in three weeks, I tried to think of a fun theme, on a par with "Pirate Day" a few weeks back. Before falling asleep I settled on Superhero Day. Thought it would be fun.

I told Jack about it this morning and he was into it at first, but then it became, What superhero should I be? And this discussion went on for a few minutes, with me pointing out I wasn't planning on being a specific superhero, I was just thinking we'd all walk around with shorts on over our pants or something. And maybe I'd make some capes. And then Jack decided it should be Robot Day. And so it was.

Also, he said to Mommy, "Today is special because Daddy is staying home." That was kind of nice.

- We watched the Backyardigans episode "Cops and Robots."

- We played the They Might be Giants song, "Robot Parade."

- We dressed in gray (silver) shirts and pants. Like robots. Jack wore his "Artoo" shirt over his gray clothes, which has a picture of R2-D2 on it.

- We drew pictures of robots, and then Jack drew pictures of his stuffed robot and Kate's stuffed robots, which they call Furbies. I'm not sure the origin of that; maybe Furby is what they're supposed to be called. Anyway, Jack's picture is remarkably accurate.

- We had hot dogs for lunch. Um, no robot theme there, Jack just likes hot dogs.

- We read Harry and the Dinosaurs build a robot, and played Jack's Build a Robot game.

- Jack brought out the Toy Story Yahtzee Jr. game. One of the characters on one of the dice is called Zorg, he's an alien or somesuch. Jack calls him Zoltar. He said, "Zoltar's a robot, right?" Hopefully. Yes, sure, Jack, he's a robot.

- We drew more pictures.

- Jack said "Want to make a project?" So we made robot masks for all of us that we could hold up in front of our faces. "Robots have square noses," Jack corrected me.

- At the end of the day, we watched Wallace and Gromit "The Wrong Trousers," because of the robot pants. Actually, A Grand Day Out has a robot co-star, while A Close Shave has a robot dog. So we could have watched any of the three.

- I put Kate to bed and she sung me Take Me Out to the Ball Game again. Jack hugged me good night and said "Happy Robot Day!"

No comments: