Saturday, July 26, 2014

Baseball and Playland

Putting Jack to bed last night, he just wanted to talk, which is always fun. Sometimes he wants to name favorite things, which for him is typically "family, baseball, (and whatever he happens to be into at that specific time, so, baseball cards, rainbow loom bracelets, Skylanders, whatever)." This time he said, "What are your three favorite things about baseball?"

So I said, memories of going to games with my Dad as a kid, going to games with my family now, and coaching you and watching you play. That seemed to satisfy him, and he went to sleep.

Today we had a morning practice, which was kind of low key and fun. He hit OK, played some infield, smiled a lot. Always nice to see.

The family went to Playland in the afternoon. I think what I like most about Playland is that it's old, it's simple, it's a little hokey, and you don't have to make a ton of decisions once you're inside. This ride or this ride? Both? Ok. This one again? Ok. We go up high on the Ferris Wheel, get wet on the Log Plume ride (our first time -- it was awesome! I don't know how hwe hadn't previously noticed it). Jack took me on a ride that typically makes me feel sick. Kate takes me on a ride that destroys my back. They both love them so it's worth it.

Kate babbled along through and to and from her favorite rides. Jack ran from ride to ride. Kate got cotton candy as large as her torso. Jack took me on the Sky Skater and laughed and told me what to do while I grimaced.

We all laughed through the Log Plume ride a second time, again getting soaked. Then we weaved over to the Pier Restaurant and Tiki Bar, ate fish and chips, and a weary Kate slept in Emily's lap. Jack ate most of Emily's shrimp instead of his own fish, and I carried Kate back to the car.

At home, Emily said Jack talked to her at bedtime. Said he actually doesn't like the roller coasters that much, he prefers the centrifugal force ones (don't think he actually said centrifugal force) but went on them because we enjoyed them. Kid is 9 years old.

No comments: