Thursday, January 29, 2009

"I mind!"

Kate hits sometimes. Jack, Mommy, Daddy. Emily came up with the theory that it's because she can't verbally articulate her thoughts as well as she'd like, so she speaks with her hands. We tell her not to, tell her hitting isn't nice, don't hit, so on and so forth.

One day recently, Jack and Kate were sitting on the rug with Emily, and Kate wanted a toy that Jack had, so she kind of batted him on the shoulder. "Aahh!" She said. Emily said, "Kate, no hitting!" Jack, perfectly agreeable (and unhurt), said "Mommy, I don't mind." Emily said, "Well, I do mind, Jack; Kate shouldn't hit you, or any of us."

The next day, Kate hit Jack again, and this time it was harder or it caught him in the side of the head or something. "I mind!" wailed Jack. "I mind!"

From now on, whenever Kate either hits or attempts to hit Jack, Jack immediately points out to her, us, and everyone else his revised feelings. "Kate! Don't hit me. I mind!"

No comments: