Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Jack's 4th birthday

Today was Jack's 4th birthday. Pretty amusing....

- We heard him get out of bed and go to the bathroom, then head back to his room. We got up (Kate was already awake) and went out into the hallway, to see him, half-naked (he goes to put on underwear), pajamas around his ankles, shuffling into his room. "Happy Birthday!" we said. He grinned sheepishly over his shoulder.

- We went downstairs, where he saw the bike (with training wheels) that we got him for his birthday present, and that I spent about an hour assembling last night. He said, "I didn't ask for a BIKE....!" He seemed happy though. We spent the next half hour helping him ride it around the living room.

- Jack wanted to wear one of the birthday hats that Emily had bought (for his party here) in to school. I tried to talk him out of it, but he was pretty insistent. I said, "Won't you feel silly being the only one at school wearing a birthday hat?" He looked at me, a hint of confusion on his face. Then, quite clearly: "No." It was like he was talking to an idiot. Why on earth would I feel silly, Daddy? Good for you, Jack.

- He had a good day at school, eating the cupcakes Emily made for his class (which I have to note were absolutely amazing). Coming home, I asked him, "Did the kids like the goodie bags you'd made up?" Jack said, "We didn't open them at school." As soon as we got home, he said, "I want to open my goodie bag!" I said, er, OK. The three of us had filled them before his bedtime last night. He opened it and said, "I got Play-dough and bubbles and stickers and a ball and..." And I said, I know, Jack, you helped put them together last night. He said, "I know!" Still just as excited as if it was all new, and if we didn't have extras of all those things scattered around the house.

- He got phone calls with birthday wishes from various relatives. It's funny watching him talk on the phone. He doesn't exactly converse; he usually comes up with comments that are total nonsequitors to the questions asked. "How was your birthday?" Jack: "We're going to have Fudgie the Whale cake tomorrow!" "What?" "Fudgie the Whale!"

- Before bathtime, he and Kate played hide and seek. On opposite sides of a chair. This really has nothing to do with his birthday, but it was pretty hilarious. They cracked each other up as they "found" each other.

- Aunt Robin sent an e-card with a dog blowing up a birthday cake balloon. Wearing himself out and panting as it kept deflating. Jack SCREAMED with laughter. "Again!" he said, clapping.

- At night, he kept getting out of bed. The last time, he said to Emily, "I want Daddy to get my birthday cake." (His party is tomorrow.) Emily, exasperated, said, "If you get out of bed again, you won't get a cake."

Jack was silent for a moment. Then, "But everybody needs a cake on their birthday...."

He'll get one.

No comments: