Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Random from Vermont

- Jack has fun playing in the snow, at least until he actually gets snow somewhere he doesn't want snow -- inside his mitten, on his cheeks, whatever. He was upset with me getting snow on him until I offered to make it up to him by letting him hit me with snow. That made everything better.

- Sledding and making snow angels is fun for Jack, but not quite as fun as standing in snow pretending to scare off bears by poking at them with a big stick (or in Jack's case, a wiffle bat

- Kate was scared of Molly. Unlike Jack, she hasn't grown up with a dog around, so she doesn't quite know what to make of them. She'd be walking along, see Molly, and stop in her tracks. If Molly came into her vicinity, she'd turn and walk quickly away.

- But, she rallied. After a while, and after seeing Jack play with Molly, and see that Molly was about as threatening as a foot rest, she started walking up closer to her. Still wary, but getting closer. I sat on the floor next to Molly, and beckoned Kate closer. Kate shook her head, vigorously, No. I patted Molly on the head and asked Kate if she wanted to. Again, No. Finally I patted Molly's front leg. Kate? She came a little closer, squatted down, and touched Molly's leg. "Ah-ah-AHHH!" she announced. By the end of the weekend, she didn't seem terrified anymore. Still didn't actually pet her on the head, but was getting closer and closer, and was no longer running away when she saw her.

- Nana wanted to read various stories to Jack. Peter Rabbit, Bunny Who Wanted a Friend, etc. Jack wanted her to read Mouse Tales. Again, and again, and....

- Jack got a stuffed Wally in Vermont. For now at least, Wally is his favorite toy. He sleeps with him, wore his Red Sox sweatshirt today so Wally could see it, etc. Today a little while after Emily and Jack and Kate had gone off to school, Emily calls. She's on her way back to bring Wally home. Where was he? I asked. "In the pocket of his sweatshirt. We got to school and took of his jacket, and I said, 'Jack, what's that in your sweatshirt?' And he said...Uh...my hands.... And I looked and there was Wally. So I told him I'd bring him home to wait for him."

No comments: