Saturday, April 24, 2010

Coach

Soccer started today for Jack. I was an assistant coach last year, and was planning to do the same thing this year. Then Monday the woman at Parks and Recreation called me and basically said there weren't enough coaches and there might not be a team if I didn't become the head coach. So, I'm the head coach. I mentioned it to Jack yesterday. This morning I was in the kitchen giving Kate breakfast when Jack walked downstairs. I said, Hi Jack. He said, "Good morning, Coach."

So we had soccer, I handed out the jerseys, met all the little kids. And they did fine with drills, Red Light, Green Light, etc. Jack messed around for the first minute -- like I was his Dad, which makes sense -- but then I told him to be serious, and he was. Then his friend Teddy showed up and there was great happiness.

The game itself was OK. It's strange how much changes in a year. A year ago, when the kids were all 4, I don't think anyone had any idea what the score was. This year, with 5 and 6 year olds, everyone knew. You had kids saying, "We have 3 and you only have 1" and stuff. It was crazy. I guess that's how it is.

Jack was game enough. He ran after the ball. He was usually around it, and kicked it when it was near him. And he likes to run around kicking it and pretending to score in the backyard. But that's probably as far as it goes. I think he does it for the heck of it, and likes the running part, but I don't think he cares all that much about scoring. It's just something to do. Which is fine; it beats a year ago when frequently he acted like he'd rather be somewhere else. So that's progress.

Afterward, we had donuts.

No comments: