Friday, April 16, 2010

Kids on Break, Day 5

It was rainy and grey today, and we were out of groceries. We still had coffee, but were basically out of cereal and fruit, two morning staples. So we managed breakfast as best we could (Cheerios, not that filling for me) and headed out.

Went to the supermarket, so Jack and Kate could both ride the bus -- the cart shaped like a bus. Jack mentioned it on the way there, and Kate chimed in, "Want to ride BUS!" It was available. We took it. Cruised through the store loading up on cereal and fruit and yogurt and milk.

Went to the post office. Jack played with the pen on a chain while we waited in line. He acted like it was a rocket. I pulled out the hand sanitizer as soon as we were back in the car. Mailed Jack's birthday cards to Ireland.

At home we drew some pictures. I taught Kate how to draw a face. First make a circle....then dots for eyes....no, press harder.....then a line for the mouth. Yes, that's it! Great face, Kate!

Macaroni and cheese for lunch. Plus they wanted cheese sticks. I tried to explain how it didn't make sense, but whatever. Juice boxes. Toast. They ate well.

During Kate's nap, Jack and I played Dragon Choose. We chose dragons, one by one, from his collection, named them, and played with them. We also made a Lego dragon.

After Kate's nap we all had apples, then sat on the couch and I read them a story from Highlights. Ku Dong or somesuch. Jack liked it, Kate liked sitting on me. We played some rock music, and I bounced each up and down, in turn, on my lap. Much laughter. They watched TV while I worked.

Dinner was French toast and bacon, yum.

Put Kate to bed. I used to cradle her in my arms, now she wants to be held to my shoulder. So I did that for Swing on a Star. She seemed really long, I think she's grown. Then she sang me Take Me Out to the Ballgame, and Edelweiss. Then I sang her Itsy Bitsy Spider and put her to bed.

Jack came in to hug me goodnight. He hugged me, then as he walked off said, "And that's for tomorrow and Sunday night, too." (I'm going to Vermont for a couple of days.)

And then the week was over, and I miss it already.

No comments: