Sunday, August 15, 2010

Chair Box

We went to Ikea this weekend and bought a chair and a couch. They were delivered today, and we assembled the chair. The huge box went on the front porch, to be put out with recycling tomorrow.

Or so I thought. After dinner, the kids and Emily went out on the porch.

"What's that?"asked Kate, and Emily said, well, it's a box. And then, It can be a boat.

So then they started climbing in and out. They'd lie down, and then one would climb out, and they'd close it, and then they'd pop out.

It was a place to curl up. A place to hide in. A boat, a car, a secret box.

They played cooperatively, Emily said to me later. I feel like it's the longest I've seen them play together without fighting.

They also came in and out of the house a few times. Ultimately I went out and saw that they had Puppy, Monkey, a throw pillow, magnetic McDonald's Spider-Man toy, and a blanket in the box.

"Get in, Daddy," said Jack. I did. He closed the box. Kate kneed me in the back. I climbed out again. Jack climbed in.

This went on for a while. Tomorrow we'll put together the couch, and I guess the box will go out on the porch for a little while.

No comments: