Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Dentist

Took the kids to the dentist today. Some moments:

- I dug out the toys in the waiting room. Their eyes went wide. Ain't no toys like waiting room toys. One was basically the same Fisher-Price farm that they had, which they'd both lost interest in months earlier. Now, it was fascinating.

- We went in, and while Jack was quite sociable, Kate clung to me and buried her face in my shoulder. But then, as the dentist started showing Jack the flashlight, and "Mr. Thirsty," the water pic, Kate gradually took an interest. Then she looked at me: "Can I get up there?" and she climbed into the chair with Jack.

- During her session in the chair, Kate was as obedient as I've ever seen her, opening her mouth, holding still, only after what seemed like a really long time saying "Can I get down now?" So politely. It was killing me each time the dentist said "Just one more minute." I'm thinking, she's 2. Let's move it along.

- Jack was in remarkably good spirits, eagerly opening his mouth and smiling to show his teeth. You'd hardly have known he'd end up having multiple cavities. I felt and still feel awful.

- At some point, both cried, basically after being in the chair too long. Especially Jack. Which was when the appointment ended and they were whisked away to some secret chest of toys, returning all smiles with some big rubbery toy frog clutched in their hands.

No comments: