Monday, August 23, 2010

Today

Jack wakes up and we hear him go to the bathroom. It's before 6:30, the new sort of rule, so we hear him go in his room. His light goes on. We hear him reading aloud...one of the "Tommy" books that I had when I was a kid. He reads slowly, carefully.

We got some fruit from Aunt Cathy before they went on vacation, plus we'd just been to the grocery story ourselves that morning. So Jack had been pushing for a fruit salad. It was a hit. "Can I have more canneelope?" asked Katie. "More yellow melon?" asked Jack. Much fruit was eaten.

Everyone got dressed. Kate picked out her shirt. She wanted a certain pair of shorts, but they were in the wash. I told her that, and she said (as she's been doing lately), "Oh. Right."

We brushed teeth. Kate always wants to push the footstool all the way under the sink and then stand on it, with the result being she nearly bonks her head, or hangs like she's doing chin-ups off the sink...not good. I push it back some and we brush her teeth. "I can do it...I do it!" she protests. Another current thing with her.

We went out for a game, because it was raining, and because we needed to get stuff for painting the dining room. A combo toy store and ACE Hardware store comes in handy. We got a Lego game for Jack and a mini-Hungry Hippos game for Katie, that I think Jack actually picked out. Very shrewdly -- they both played with it for about an hour. Naturally they kept picking up toys wondering if they could get them. No...no....NO! good grief....Yes...Wait! No! What was funny was at the hardware store, Kate was doing the same thing. "Can we get this, Daddy?" You need a tub of spackling paste, Kate? Really? "Can we get this?" No Kate, we don't need another set of doorknobs. Eventually they discovered the wall of paint colors, and they gleefully picked out colors together. I think we cleaned the store out of "Sea of Midnight," which I can say with some confidence we will never use.

Back at home, we opened up Kate's game, they played it, I made lunch. They then started playing nicely together with Kate's dollhouse. This usually happens right around Kate's naptime; it's like Kate starts playing nicely with the dollhouse with Jack so as to keep me from putting her down for her nap, because she knows I'm a sucker for such great behavior. She's right; I put her down later than usual. But, she naps.

Jack and I build his Lego game. It is awesome. We play it and it's even more awesome. Jack builds the Minotaur, but you can't use him until you roll a black square. We play for a while without him rolling one, so he asks if he can just nudge it onto black. I let him.

It's time for Kate to wake up so I send Jack up. He comes down saying he opened her door and gate but she still wanted to sleep more. I'm about to go up when she appears. "Ta-DAAAA!" she says. Jack wants to show her the Lego game, and I say, OK, but you know it's too old for her and she might not play it right... He says, I know. But I think she'll like it. She does. He explains it to her.

We walk to Aunt Cathy's to get her mail and check her house. They run around and find toys to play with. I take things away from them before we leave. Jack has pockets, but I think I get everything back. We'll go again tomorrow anyway.

At home, they play more with the new games. It's pretty rewarding. Emily comes home, with a new backpack for Jack and a lunchbox and water bottle for Kate. Jack immediately puts on his backpack, which looks huge on him. Kate shows me her water bottle and lunchbox. "Yay, I have a water bottle!" she says happily. "I have new lunchbox! It's Hehyo Kitty, Daddy."

I put Jack to bed. I notice his little clay penguins next to the bed that we made in the oven the previous week...I hadn't noticed them before. I said, those are really good, you know. Have you shown Mommy those? He's not sure. He holds up one. "I think this is the best one," he says thoughtfully.

We read "Good Night, Little Bear," and he laughs at the old mitten under the stove, and at Little Bear bumping his head on the ceiling. Lights out, then sleep. He doesn't want songs tonight, he's tired. It's been a day.

No comments: