Sunday, May 29, 2011

Lyndsay

We had a guest this weekend, cousin Lyndsay. Both kids are pretty fond of her. I haven't read a bedtime story to either one all weekend; they've requested her. So they all get together on inflatable mattress and she reads to them, their choices. There's a lot of laughing.

We usually help Jack with showers, turning on the water, making sure he gets himself clean, etc. Still help him with brushing his teeth, too, given that cavities like him.

But since the first night Lyndsay was here, after she showered, Jack has gone in to shower on his own. "I can do it myself," he insists. I let him, just watching carefully to make sure he didn't run it too hot or anything. He did all the washing and drying himself, then moved on to brushing his teeth. Wanted to do that himself, too. I said, no Jack, we still need to help you. "But I want to be like Lyndsay!" he said plaintively.

Jack has finally come around on the bees in our backyard. He doesn't like them and still flinches on occasion (so do I), but he now plays readily in their presence. I overheard him talking to Lyndsay yesterday, after she noticed them. "Oh, those are carpenter bees," he said knowingly. "They don't sting."

_______________________________________


Jack had T ball yesterday. A fierce desire to play first base has developed among the players; they all run to it at the start of each inning, and usually end up sharing it during the inning, with coach Moore dictating when it's time for somebody else's turn. I talked to him about it afterward, telling him I thought he'd handled it well, and that it was odd to me that everyone wanted to play first base. He said, "Well, it's a chance to touch the ball."

_______________________________________

No comments: