Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Movies and art

---

Jack and I went to a movie today, "Rio." He and his classmates had the day off because of testing for older kids; this apparently doesn't apply to very many schools or classes, because he and I were the only people in the theater. Jack said, excitedly, "We're the first ones here!" As the movie itself began, and we were still the only ones there, he said, "Where are you, people?" We had our own private screening.

Jack enjoyed it, initially naming it his second-favorite movie behind "Star Wars." I said, what about "How to Train Your Dragon"? And he said, "Oh. My 3rd favorite movie." And he called "Tangled," which he saw with Emily last weekend, his 4th favorite, until I mentioned "Cars" and "Madagascar." So he then proceeded to name his top 10, which I believe included every movie he's ever seen, except for the first movie he ever saw in a theater, "Horton Hears a Who," which I believe scared him. And I will never forget because we walked up the steps to the row of seats, and I said he could sit down, and he agreeably sat down on the step in the aisle.

At home, I had to check my email, and I heard him sit down at the table to draw a little. Ten minutes later, I saw his picture. He'd written "Rio" across the top, with different colors for each letter, and drawn striking renditions of all the main characters, which were brightly colored birds. The detailing was kind of amazing, I have to say.

Later on, he drew another picture, of himself, riding a shark. "Shark!" it say, and in the picture Jack has a big smile. I said, uh Jack, where did you get this idea? And he said, matter-of-factly, "It just came to me. And, I like to draw, so...."



No comments: