Friday, May 20, 2011

Recap of the day

Jack was in a play at school. All the kindergartners were there, dressed in green shirts and tan pants; it was a play about the rainforest. Every kid had a line; Jack's was first. He stood up, wearing his light green dress shirt and khakis, walked to the mike, and said "The play you are about to see is the story of the Great Kapok tree...." Delivered his line and sat down. We all clapped and took pictures. Jack waved from his seat.

Afterward, as I walked to Jack to tell him he did a great job, he said, "Nick's Mom has my MightyBean! Will you get it from her?" So, he hadn't let the play go to his head or anything.

Walking back to the car, Kate walked between Emily and me and held our hands. She didn't walk much at all; she just swung. She's getting heavier.

At home, we played some in the backyard. She helped me a mow a little, then watched me mow, then went on the swings. She lay over it like a folded newspaper and swung back and forth. "I'm Supergirl!" she said.

The neighbor with two young kids walked over and they played in our yard for a bit. They brought out the T ball set for a bit which went well until Kate swung the bat with one of the kids standing too close to the tee and whapped him in the face. He cried. I managed to extract one of Kate's slow, monotone, "sorrrryyyyy"s out of her. Later he was on the slide and it seemed like he was waiting for Kate to walk by the end so he could take her out. Nah, I'm just kidding. He probably wasn't really doing that.

We picked up Jack at school. As usual, they ran around the playground together, and I looked for the mighty bean Jack had dropped in the tall grass yesterday. I was touched by the fact that a couple of his little friends helped out. I said, guys, there's no chance of us finding this thing, you can go play.

We went home and they played with these little bead things that Emily irons and they make little figures and designs that fascinate Jack for about 2 days until he forgets about them.

We ate pizza, and watched some of the Red Sox game. I read Kate "Ferdinand the Bull." And everyone went to bed.

No comments: