Monday, December 10, 2012

10th day of Christmas

Sick day for Kate, half day for Jack. Work day for Daddy and Mommy, which can be tough. Because the kids crave interaction, and it's tough to do while working. There's a lot that's great about working from home, I know that. What's not so great is that when you're sitting at a computer trying to work and yet you're home, it doesn't seem like you're at work. It seems like, Daddy! Will you play with me?

And the tough part is that I know there will be days when I wish I had said, OK! Let's play the Playground game, or Scrabble, or Monopoly, or Zoominoes. But in the moment, at the time, I'm just thinking, Gah! I have a deadline! I have to work! I can not play with you right now!

I guess some people are in that situation all the time. They can never say, OK! Or they're working in an office, and not there to be asked. I know everyone in an office would probably trade places with the person working from home. So I won't complain too much. Just those some days.

One great thing today: Jack, knowing I had to work, said, he would get Kate lunch. In the morning, he told Emily proudly how he knew how to make cinnamon toast...He knew where the cinnamon was, where the sugar was, and he knew how to use the toaster. Where the butter was. So after I got him at school and we got home, he said, "Daddy, go work! I will get Kate lunch." So I went downstairs, and he made Kate lunch. Once I went upstairs to offer to pour juice for them, and he said, "Daddy, YOU go downstairs. Go work." So I did, and he gave Kate lunch.

And yes, there was a fine coating of cinnamon all over the counter afterward, but I got some work done.

No comments: